Shopping cart migration is a highly complicated process that needs taking care closely so that you can bring your new store to customers as soon as possible without any errors. As a result, this article will provide you with a pre-migration checklist to help you ensure everything will go smoothly and avoid typical mistakes during migration.
Let’s get started!
Determine the best time to perform migration
You definitely don’t want to affect your customers and website traffic in any way when doing the migration. LitExtension understands and we can assure you that your old store will remain alive and operate normally when you transfer data to your new store with us.
However, you can prepare more carefully in this regard. It’s ideal to migrate data when your site receives the lowest number of visitors. Usually, the traffic will increase in the middle of the week and decrease on the weekends. Nonetheless, this figure depends on your products or services. You’d better examine your analytics and reports to find out the best time and date to perform the migration.
Back up your source store data
Data on your source store will stay unchanged before, during and after the migration with LitExtension. We only copy them from one shopping cart to another. However, it’s recommended to back up everything before you perform any major changes.
Beside that, if your target store is containing data, you should also have them backed up. The reason is that your database may be messed up when new data are migrated to. Or, you may accidentally click on “Clear data on your target store” in additional option section when configuring the migration.
Methods to save your data depends on the platform you are using:
- For open-source ecommerce platforms (WooCommerce, Magento, etc.): Data backup can be done through the control panel (often called cPanel or admin panel) of your hosting provider.
- For hosted ecommerce platforms (Shopify, BigCommerce, etc.): You share the responsibility of backups with those service providers. Thus, they’ll take care of this for you. If you want to perform individual account backup, you can use a third-party service such as Rewind.
Get access details for the migration
When running shopping cart migration with LitExtension, you need to provide us with access information of both your source and target store. Different types of e-commerce platforms require different access keys. There are two types of e-commerce platforms: open-source and hosted. Hence, here are how to get the access details for each:
- For open-source ecommerce platforms (WooCommerce, Magento, etc.), you need to get:
- Your store’s URL
- FTP access including hostname or IP address, username, password
When setting up the migration, you will be asked for the above-mentioned information. If you’re not sure how to get them, our wizard instruction on your right-hand side will tell you how to do it in detail. You only need to hover your mouse over what makes you confused and the wizard instruction will appear.
- For hosted ecommerce platforms (Shopify, BigCommerce, etc.), you need to provide:
- Your store’s URL
- Admin email
- Admin password
Some platforms you will need other information such as API key, password; API path, token or username. Once again, if you’re not sure how to get them, hover your mouse over what makes you confused and our wizard instruction will tell you how to do it in detail.
Set up a target store
To perform a migration, of course, you need a target store set up in advance. The installation process is different across each platform. In case you do not have time or enough technical knowledge to set up your store, you can purchase LitExtension’s All-in-one service in which our experts will take care of your migration from top to bottom including setting up your target store.
That’s all you need to take into account before performing a migration with LitExtension, now, let’s find out why LitExtension is the most optimal solution for your migration!
Why you should choose LitExtension
- Affordable Price: LitExtension is one of the few companies which provides shopping cart migration service with a fairly low cost. We have an automated pricing tool which allows you to calculate how much your migration costs and how long it takes. Suppose you want to migrate 500 products, 500 customers and the same number of orders. Then, according to the pricing tool, the approximate amount of money you will pay is $59.
- Free Demo and Trial Migration: These two help you preview how the tool works and how your data is stored and managed in the new shopping cart.
- 30-day Money Back Guarantee.
- 3-month Migration Assurance: We offer 3-month Free Unlimited Recent Migrations and Re-migrations for assurance in migration and make sure migration process will be completed perfectly.
- Professional Support: LitExtension has a dedicated and professional technical support team. We provide 24/7 support by ticket, phone, live chat, or email. Hence, we can solve all of your problems quickly and accurately.
- High Security: LitExtension has a set of practices, technologies and policies in place to ensure the highest level of security for your data. For further information, please take a look at our Data Security Policy.
- No Technical Skills required: With LitExtension tool, your shopping cart migration is just a few clicks away. You don’t need any advanced technical skills or knowledge to deal with the migration. Besides, you always have the support team around if any concern arises.
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to leave us a message via live chat on website or an email via email@example.com.