Nowadays, the term “Magento Cloud” is mentioned everywhere specially in ecommerce market. The ‘cloud’ is amongst the top ten confusing tech buzzword in the last decade that everyone uses but doesn’t quite understand. What is it?, What is its pros and cons? And is it really suitable for Magento? are questions to many people even yourself. In this article, we desire to show you the answers and help you give the right decision in choosing Magento cloud or self-hosted version.
Magento cloud is a fully managed cloud platform for your Magento store which are helping those new to Magento to get set-up quicker with higher cost. These are designed, built and hosted on servers by service companies and users have to pay a monthly fee for their ecommerce data storage, customer list, inventory and sales grow.
However, if you have enough technical knowledge, we suggest using self-hosted Magento which allows you to make as many changes on your online Magento store as you want. Best of all, it is usually free and updated by an awesome community of Magento developers.
If you are wondering to choose between Magento Cloud and self-hosted Magento, let LitExtension leave your worries by below idea!
Pros and cons of Magento Cloud
We all agree that the appearance of Magento cloud computing has brought a lot of changes technical world. We want to mention some advantages of it:
- Easy to Set Up: You can set up an account on cloud Magento with your individual settings within a few minutes. After that you can immediately start using your own Magento Store.
- More Storage: With Magento Cloud, memory is not limited by the particular device any more. Because Magento cloud provides more storage, you don’t have to worry about exhausting space on your hard drive.
- Only pay for what you use: Magento Cloud allows you to pay for exactly what applications or services you want, when you use them. You also can add new services to your Magento website whenever you need changes.
However, everything is not too easy like that. Besides these benefits, Magento cloud also contains some drawbacks.
- Security: This is the issues attracting most attention from users. You can understand that using Magento cloud means that you are handing over your data to a third party providing Magento Cloud Server. What will happen when all users from all over the world are accessing the same server? It is the security issue. That is the reason why companies particularly concern about using Magento cloud. They are worried that their data may be harmed by viruses and malware.
- High cost: Going with convenience is higher price. Unlike buying computers and software, Magento cloud is a service you have to purchase. Therefore, you don’t just pay for upfront costs but ongoing operating costs. This means that the expense will become more expensive in the long-term.
- Loss of Control: The uses are controlled by Magento cloud entities. What information you upload on internet, where you access and many other things are controlled by Magento cloud server providers. If unfortunately their server don’t operate any more for some reason, I am afraid that all your information may lose.
- Internet Reliance: While hosted service is available everywhere, you may not have permission to open the documents you have stored on the cloud if the area you are in doesn’t have Internet access.
- Dependency on a reliable Internet connection: I am sure that you always need a reliable, high-speed Internet connection functioning the whole time you’re working. Magento Cloud just allows this in developed countries such as US; however, it’s really an issue in developing countries or remote areas with no broadband.
Unlike Magento cloud, self-hosted Magento is outsourced information technology (IT) systems and functions. A hosting service provider owns and oversees infrastructure, software and administrative tasks and makes the system available to clients, usually over the Internet. Self-hosted Magento websites give you a lot more freedom of what you do with your Magento site such as adding new functions and designs, lower costs in long term, more free plugins, and future versions and security updates are actively managed by a community of developers. Self-hosting an open source platform means that you are the one in control of your website and you can find trusted professionals to work on your site instead of tying to Magento cloud server providers. It seems to overcome the disadvantages of cloud service.
And finally, if you are wishing to migrate your website to Magento hosting, this is exactly what you need https://litextension.com/shopping-cart-migration.html
Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any question related.