BigCommerce vs. Magento – Who has a better performance?
A lot of people would try to answer this as impartially as possible. So to help you select the right solution for your business, we will make a comparison between two platforms.
Let’s start right away with the topic “BigCommerce vs Magento 2018 – Who has a better performance”!
1. Open source and out – of – box
Magento – open source platform
As an open source platform, Magento allows its users to access source code, customize and modify it with ease. Besides, when using Magento, you have full control over the design and functionality. If you do not have an IT team, you can work with an out-source team or technology company to create your website. Just be aware that it can be pricey to maintain this type of cooperation.
Different from Magento, BigCommerce is an out-of-the-box solution. It allows you to build a shopping cart based on available themes and customizable to suit your needs without the in-house IT developer. Also, you can use many useful extensions such as product reviews, marketing or recommendations because they are part of the core product. However, as out-of-box solution, you lose control of your website.
2. BigCommerce vs Magento – Pricing
The biggest advantage of open source is that it’s completely free, so you don’t have to pay a dime to use it. Just need to download the Magento, contact any software company to buy domain name to be able to start building your website.
Expenses will arise when you want to buy themes, or use other extensions and plugins. You can refer to these costs below:
- Magento Community Edition – CE: totally FREE. Need to pay for domain maintenance and hosting, about $ 10 – $ 100.
- Magento Enterprise Edition – EE: Domain, hosting and license fee (about 20.000$/year). Need to hire a Developer: from $ 10 – $ 20 per hour.
- Themes/Additional features: solid price point is around $50 to $100.
What about BigCommerce?
BigCommerce has 4 pricing plans: Standard, Plus, Pro and Enterprise.
This pricing policy aims to meet the needs of small to medium enterprises as well as big companies. Below is detailed information:
- Standard Package – $29.95/mo: offers you all the basic features including unlimited products, unlimited storage, unlimited bandwidth and accepts credit cards & PayPal.
- BigCommerce Plus – $79.95/mo: provides all standard features plus: No transaction fees, real – time carrier shipping, best-in-class-payment providers, abandoned cart saver, omni-channel sales tools, advanced customer segmentation, checkout hosted on your domain, 1.5% transaction fee.
- Pro plan – $249.95/mo: Includes a comprehensive set of features: Google customer reviews, Faceted search (product filtering) and Custom SSL
- Enterprise – Call BigCommerce for a quote: includes all plus features and: Custom facets (product filtering), Unlimited API Calls, Premium account services, express routing, priority support, and strategic account management available.
3. List of features
One of the most important reasons for your decision of choosing a platform or not, that is the number of features are provided. Below is a table comparing the core feature between BigCommerce and Magento, based on 5 criteria: Inventory management, a Number of themes and extensions, security, multi-store and SEO options.
4. Ease of use
To be honest, it is quite hard to create an online store based on Magento. Magento is by no means a platform for beginners. So you should consider carefully, it’s better to hire an adept developer if you are limited to technical knowledge. Magento communities also provide a lot of documentations and supports should also be helpful for you in the process of finding out.
BigCommerce, on the other hand, is one of the simplest ways to manage and create your shopping cart. Going through the platform is almost intuitive and even if you have slight problems, you can always ask around in its forums or call up the support for advice.
Don’t hesitate to share
If you enjoyed this article, I would be really grateful if you could share it using the button below!